- Deposits the executed deed to the buyer with the settlement agent.
- Deposits evidence of pest inspection and any required repair work, if applicable.
- Deposits other required documents such as tax receipts, addresses of mortgage holders, any state or federal required documentation, etc.
The Lender (if applicable):
- Deposits the funds required, in addition to any borrowed funds, to pay the purchase price with the settlement agent.
- Deposits funds sufficient for home and title insurance.
- Arranges for any borrowed funds to be delivered to the settlement agent.
- Deposits any deed of trust or mortgages necessary to secure loans.
- Approves any inspection reports, the Preliminary Report for title insurance, etc., called for by the purchase and sale agreements.
- Fulfills any other conditions specified in the instructions.
The Settlement Agent:
- Prepares loan document package for buyer/borrower.
- Deposits proceeds of the loan with the settlement agent.
- Directs the settlement agent on the conditions under which the loan funds may be used.
If you have questions about the escrow process, please call your local Fidelity National Title office or click on
"Find an Office" in the Menu Bar above.
- Opens the order for title insurance.
- Obtains approvals from the buyer on the Preliminary Report/ Title Commitment, pest and other inspections.
- Receives funds from the buyer and/or any lender.
- Prorates taxes, rents, etc.
- Disburses funds for title insurance, recording fees, real estate commissions, lien clearance, etc.
- Prepares an estimated statement or HUD settlement statement, as required, for each party, indicating amounts to be disbursed for services and any further amounts necessary to close.
- Records deed and loan documents, delivers the deed to the buyer, loan documents to the lender and funds to the seller, closing the escrow.
- Issues final closing statement/HUD settlement statement and forwards to buyer, seller and lender.